Monday

PASTOR ALEX GYASI


I'm the pastor of the Highway Of Holiness Church and I love living in Haringey because it's very rich in cultures and points of view.
I started working with homeless last summer, when two men came to my church and asked for help. I provided them food, which was their most immediate need. After a week taking care of them, I decided to offer my church to sleep, as well. In time, I realised that they couldn't apply for jobs because of their appearance, so I decided to turn one of our toilets into a shower which they could use. It really improved their self-esteem and confidence and made us realise that small things can make such a big difference.
Now, the church has been open to homeless during the whole winter, we've had up to 40 people sleeping in our floor. It's really grateful to see how helping people improve their lives. Some of them got a job and once they earned enough money they rent a flat and leave. We help people to begin a new life providing activities, English lessons and meetings. This work has been the most challenging to date.

No comments: