Wednesday

Eddie Wedderburn


I am 83 years old, with a wife, two kids, and a grandson of nearly two years. I come from the parish of Westmorland in Jamaica, but I have now lived in Haringey for 48 years!

To someone who has never been there I would describe it as a multiethnic borough that provides good services for the older people. What I love most about it, though, is the friendliness of the people in Haringey, and the respect that they show. I have worked with a huge number of organizations here: I am currently in the Haringey Race and Equality Council, but in the past I have been governor at many schools and colleges of the area; I have an experience as a treasurer; I was twice District Road Master for Muioof (North London district); I worked with the Cultural Centre and the West Indian Standing Conference; I have been the deacon of a local church for more than 20 years; a trustee; and much else. This means that I have always done something interesting with the community.

I think it has a link with my childhood, since I grew up in a similar environment. I really like to be involved in helping people in an assertive manner, and I would suggest future leaders to be conscientious, dedicated, and respectful of the others.

No comments: