Wednesday

Brinda


I’m 59 and I was born in Mauritius. I have one son of 27 who is studying at university. My husband is 62, and unfortunately he has been diagnosed Alzheimer and his condition is quite severe. I have been in Haringey since 1973, working as a deputy manager for a care centre called Haringey Asian day Centre.

I like the borough because it has many different backgrounds, and you feel at home. When I first came to the UK I lived in Bristol, where I didn’t really feel at ease. But here you can meet people of so many different nationalities! I love it. Also, I love that in Haringey there are lots of people who care for the other people. As a deputy manager I do this too, and in particular I provide activities for people with special conditions. It is definitely an important work, because there is always someone needing care. Until 3 years ago I also particularly cared for my father, who then passed away. At the moment I am not working because my husband needs me.

My whole life is based on caring for people and I would advice future leaders to do that too. Most of all, I believe that carers should be more listened to, because of their experience. There should be more specific training to suit individual needs. For example, not much attention is paid for younger people with Alzheimer. At the hospital they are not really looked after. I think we should all be more attentive.

No comments: