Wednesday

Alison Nunes


I am Jamaican, I have 4 grown up kids and I have lived in Haringey for 33 years. If you had never been in this borough, I would tell you it’s a diverse, very mixed community, a Mecca for people coming to England for the first time particularly NE London. Above all I like the fact that you can meet people of similar cultural background as your own and relate and interact with them in socially. All of us come from elsewhere and it’s nice to interact and help each other.

I do volunteer work being chairperson for Haringey University of the Third Age. It is an organisation that caters for mature people engaging the people who are retired or semi-retired. Our motto is "Retired but not retiring"! Members consider themselves wise because of their mature years and we enjoy getting out and about to enhance wellbeing and help them remain happy! They come together to learn IT skills, join reading groups do poetry and some walk, travel and more as well.

I try to live my life by being helpful and managed to help members to record their memories and experiences in a publication, “Wisdom Speaks”: we are continuously taking from life experiences I think it’s fundamental for future leaders of communities to be involved, know what’s going on, be out there and help people in need.
Haringey is an exciting Borough to live in, food variety is plenty, well kept parks and other open spaces make it really enjoyable.

No comments: